Senior Software Site Reliability Engineer - Database
Company: Credit Karma
Posted on: February 25, 2021
Senior Software Site Reliability Engineer - Database Credit
Karma is a mission-driven company, focused on championing financial
progress for our more than 100 million members in the U.S., Canada
and U.K. While we're best known for pioneering free credit scores,
our members turn to us for tips as they work on their financial
goals, including helping them monitor their credit, identity
monitoring, searching for credit cards, shopping for loans (car,
home and personal), and growing their savings* -- all for free.
Credit Karma has grown significantly through the years: we've added
more than 70 million members in the last five years alone and now
have more than 1,100 employees across our offices in Oakland,
Charlotte, Los Angeles and London.-- *Banking services provided by
MVB Bank, Inc., Member FDIC The Database Engineering team is
responsible for the persistent data tier and the infrastructure
that ensure the availability and reliability of that data. This
architecture is core to bringing value for our members and key to
propelling the organization forward. As a Site Reliability Engineer
on this team, you will be instrumental in the performance and scale
of Credit Karma's infrastructure and you'll be working to improve
the availability and reliability of these key systems, analyzing
performance, and taking our infrastructure to the next level. What
- Build and automate aspects of database management,
infrastructure, and architecture by utilizing software to achieve a
highly available, scalable, and reliable storage platform.
- Produce database systems that are scalable, automated, and well
- This position is part of a well established team, and you will
be working closely with them as well as product developers.
- Spotting performance issues by looking at SQL statements, and
recommend schema improvements based on the output of EXPLAIN
- Automating processes and systems with Python or other OOP
languages to reduce toil and achieve scalability in a cloud centric
- Using your experience and knowledge to investigate incidents
and troubleshoot issues that arise as quickly as possible to reduce
- Collaborate across engineering and product teams to translate
application requirements to infrastructure capabilities.
- Ensuring best practices and observability of the databases,
such as metrics, logging, tracing, and alerting
- Consult on and design infrastructure, system and application
architecture --What's great about the role:
- You will have the opportunity to contribute greatly to an
extremely engineering-focused organization.
- Your contributions will have a noticeable impact on our members
as well as your fellow Karmanauts (that's what we call
- You will be involved in organizational efforts of continuous
improvement to increase and ensure the reliability of Credit
- You will get broad exposure to our full stack, consisting of
desired and progressive technologies such as MySQL, Kubernetes,
Terraform, Google Cloud Platform, Salt, etc. Minimum Basic
- 5+ years of Database reliability or SRE experience working with
MySQL or other distributed and highly available systems--
- 5+ years experience programming in at least one of the
following languages: Python, Go or other OOP languages.
- Expert experience in MySQL clustering and failover
- Professional experience in a role to improve the reliability,
scalability, performance of distributed systems.
- Solid understanding of database system internals (Innodb and
Innodb cluster), and their impact on query and system/site
- Strong written and oral communications skills and be able to
articulate technical details well. Preferred Qualifications:--
- Experience in MySQL high availability using Orchestrator,
Consul, ProxySQL, etc.
- Working knowledge of New Relic, Splunk, Grafana, or similar
- Experience with cloud technologies, such as GCP, Infrastructure
as Code (Terraform), containerization, etc.--
- Knowledge in NoSQL products, such as Cassandra, MongoDB or
other modern datastores. Credit Karma is committed to a diverse and
inclusive work environment. We believe that such an environment
advances long-term professional growth, creates a robust business,
and supports our mission of championing financial progress for
everyone. We offer generous benefits and perks with a single eye to
nourishing an inclusive environment that recognizes the
contributions of all and fosters diversity by supporting our
internal Employee Resource Groups. We've worked hard to build an
intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and
inclusive employee culture, and the opportunity for professional
growth. As part of the Credit Karma team, your voice will be heard,
your contributions will matter, and your unique background and
experiences will be celebrated. Credit Karma is also proud to be an
Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome all candidates without
regard to race, color, religion, age, marital status, sex
(including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition),
sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, national
origin, veteran or military status, disability (physical or
mental), genetic information, or any other protected
characteristic. We prohibit discrimination of any kind and operate
in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. COVID
-19 update:--Protecting the health of our employees and the
candidates interested in a career at Credit Karma is our top
priority. We appreciate your understanding and being open and
flexible with any changes related to our interviewing process.
Credit Karma is strongly committed to protecting personal data.
Please take a look below to review our privacy policies: What is
your experience working with Databases? --*
Which Languages are you comfortable working in?
Keywords: Credit Karma, Charlotte , Senior Software Site Reliability Engineer - Database, Professions , Charlotte, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!