Senior Director, Major Gifts
Company: National Multiple Sclerosis Society
Posted on: January 26, 2023
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society is a national non-profit
that exists because there are people with MS. Our vision is a world
free of MS. Everything we do is focused so that people affected by
MS can live their best lives as we stop MS in its tracks, restore
what has been lost and end MS forever.
We are more than an organization. We are a movement. United in our
collective power to do something about MS now and end this disease
forever. At the National MS Society you have the opportunity to
make a real difference in the lives of those living with MS and
As a member of the Society team, you'll work in an environment that
values collaboration, innovation, diverse perspectives, and most of
all a relentless resolve so people with MS can live their best
TheSenior Director of Major Giftsprovides multiple-market support.
The Senior Director of Major Gifts is part of a larger Individual
Giving teamresponsible for raising$45million annually.
The Senior Directorstrategically engages a pipeline of new and
retainedprospectsthrough a defined portfolio of donors giving at
the$25,000-$100,000level. This position actively works a portfolio
to create meaningful interactionsincluding gift solicitation and
stewardship. This position plays an active role on relationship
management teams todevelopand support moves management planning for
all assigned prospects.TheSenior Director plays a pivotal role in
growing market capacity by identifying potential major gifts and
helping to establish a strong pipelineforthe Major Gift
Thisroleactively engagesincross-functionalrelationship management
teamsto develop and support moves management planning for each
market's $25,000-$100,000 donors andmajorgiftprospects. The Senior
Director is responsible for collaboratingwith local Market Leaders,
Associate Vice Presidents, Major Gift Officersand on occasion the
Senior Leadership Team,to ensure strategic donor engagement in all
facets of the organization.
A successful candidatewill be an actionanddetail-oriented, highly
energetic professional with a track record of building donor
relationships, closing gifts in the five and six-figure range and
skilled at inspiring, influencing and engaging people.
Travel in and to assigned marketsisrequired, as well as attending
weekend and evening donor functions.(Travel up to 50% of the
- ActivePortfolioManagement(80% of time)
- Identify and manage a portfolio of qualified major and planned
giving donors and prospects to ensure positive and purposeful
relationship development; set and carry out solicitation
strategies, includingblended major and planned gifts. Major gift at
the Senior Director level is defined as $25,000-$100,000K or
- Maintain and build a portfolio of approximately 150 donor
prospects for major and planned gifts.
- Manage defined pipeline of new and retained donors through
meaningful interactions and execution of appropriate relationship
building steps to increase Individual Giving revenue.
- Actively identify top relationships within portfolio to
strategically align moves management plans.
- Regularly research, qualify and assign donors to portfolio
through defined processes to determine individuals with capacity
- Engage with donors in a variety of ways to identify specific
donor interests and deepen their connection to the
- Articulate the case for support, through oral and written
means, so that donors engage and support the mission and vision of
- Participate in all relationship management meetings to
- Work collaboratively with Individual Giving Staff and the
market management team as well as key market volunteers to
identify, cultivate and solicitdonors.
- Leverage donor cultivation and stewardship opportunities to
increase meaningful donor interactions.
- Strategically drivekey functions of the Individual Giving
operational plan to achieve targeted revenue goals for each
- Activate gift renewal strategies by strategically aligning
resources and executing streamlined processes to retain
- Provide high degree of discretion and strong ability to
represent the Society, engaging in meaningful dialogue with
prospects and donors.
- Administration(15% of time)
- Activelyrecord and upload all interactionsintoSalesforcefor all
- Oversee qualification ofmajor donorprospects and lead portfolio
management, ensuring team assignments are regularly
- Regularly reviewand maintain a fluency in teambudgets,
financial reports and other meaningful reports to help ensure the
team is meeting revenue and performance goals.
- Conduct prospect research utilizing a suite of
- Pull defined reports from the reporting system.
- Ensure executive readiness for donor engagement opportunities
by making key relationship assignments,preparing donor briefings
withmovesmanagement plans andcapturing all notes inSalesforceand in
3. Continuity in Society Approach to Individual Giving (5%)
- Ensure President and market understanding of and adherence to
centralized Individual Giving functions in agreed upon geographic
area through individual giving operational plan and communicate
areas of opportunity and risk for ongoing program refinement.
- Bachelor of Arts or Science
- Some college plus 10 years of related experience will be
accepted in lieu of a bachelor's degree
- Minimum6years progressive fundraising experience with
individuals and track record for closing gifts and articulating a
case for giving.
- Ability to assess staff strengths, coach and mentor staff in
various locations to adhere to individual giving
- Time management, event management, organization, communication,
relationship management, and collaboration skills required.
- Proven ability to identify new prospects, build and maintain
strong relationships with donors and develop strategies for
cultivation and stewardship. Identify, assess and analyze specific
areas of donor interest and level of potential engagement with the
- Must be an action-oriented, motivated professional with the
following attributes: a track record of building donor and
volunteer relationships; entrepreneurial spirit; skilled at
inspiring, influencing and engaging people; high emotional
intelligence; collegial, collaborative and accessible; excellent
listening skills, passion for the mission.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to
communicate effectively and professionally with high level Society
executive staff and board members and to build productive
relationships with major gift prospects.
- Strong writing skills including proposal and report writing, as
well as internal and externalcommunications with attention to
- Knowledge of industry standards, current trends, and best
- Experience building and leading fundraising teams.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to ask for
gifts at6 figure+level.
- Ability to work independently while supporting the goals and
initiatives of a collaborative fundraising team.
Experience with Salesforce (preferred) or equivalent CRM database
and prospect research tools. Strong computer skills: MS Office XP -
Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Database/Reporting tools, Outlook and
Internet. Ability to use Microsoft Teams or equivalent and lead
web-based presentations. Outstanding customer experience and
services abilities. Excellent verbal and written and communication
skills, diplomacy, and discretion.
- Commitment to the mission, vision, cultural values, and
expectations of the National MS Society
- This position will be required to drive/travel on Society
business. Candidate must possess a valid driver's license, proof of
insurance and reliable transportation. The Society does run motor
vehicle checks for all positions which require driving and the
applicant must meet the Society guidelines.
- Availability to work nights and weekends to support donor
functions, events, etc.
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society provides a highly
competitive, comprehensive benefit package to employees. These
benefits include a considerable Paid Time Off Plan; Paid Holidays;
401k Retirement Savings Plan with Society match; Professional
Development Assistance; Commuter Benefit Plan; Comprehensive Health
Welfare benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Flex Spending
Accounts, Life Insurance, Disability Coverage, Life Assistance Plan
as well as additional voluntary benefit offerings.
Estimated hiringcompensationrangeis $80,000- $100,000 based on a
general compensation range. Final offers are based on candidate
geographic location, will take into consideration candidate's
career experience and may vary from this range due to theseand
The National MS Society is committed to building a diverse and
inclusive workforce.We strive to create a workforce that reflects
the communities we serve and where everyone feels empowered to
bring their authentic selves to work. We need you and your unique
talents and perspectives to help us write the last chapter on
Keywords: National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Charlotte , Senior Director, Major Gifts, Executive , Charlotte, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!