Director, Audit - Risk
Posted on: September 23, 2022
Purpose of Job We are seeking a Director, Audit for our San
Antonio, TX, Plano, TX, Phoenix, AZ, Tampa, FL, or Charlotte, NC
USAA values a culture that is highly collaborative, and we have
found that a hybrid work type helps employees gain the best of both
worlds - collaborating in-person in the office and working from
home when needed to achieve focused deliverables. The actual days
onsite are determined between each employee and the employee's
Manages the planning, execution and oversight of the consolidated
annual audit plan including risk-based assurance and advisory
engagements driving quality of audit work for a designated staff
agency or line of business/functional area. Maintains knowledge of
financial services regulations and effectively responds and
interacts with regulators. Provides oversight to multiple audit
engagements, engagement planning, fieldwork and reporting. Manages
strategic initiatives and leads in the development and
implementation of a risk-based audit plan. Serves, and/or partners
with subject matter expert(s) within audit or the business to
analyze issues, establish and improve collaborative client
relationships, and proactively work with client management to
assess risk and improve internal controls. Responsible for building
teams with the requisite knowledge and skillsets necessary to
execute the audit plan, employee retention and overall team
development. Ensures fiscally responsible expense management.
Provides independent oversight and thought leadership for audit
disciplines ensuring that audit plans, frameworks, standards, and
processes provide appropriate risk coverage. Adheres to the
Institute of Internal Auditors' International Standards for the
Professional Practice of Internal Auditing (Standards) and Code of
Ethics. Job Requirements About USAA USAA knows what it means to
serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S.
military members and their families. This singular mission requires
a dedication to innovative thinking at every level. Primary
- Accountable for timely delivery and quality execution of audit
plan/reports, issue validation, driving continuous monitoring
activities, and ensuring appropriate risks are covered for assigned
areas of responsibility.
- Accountable for quality and providing technical engagement
oversight, and approval of engagement risk assessment and audit
- Develops and maintains effective working relationships with key
stakeholders across the enterprise to ensure audit objectives are
effectively met and contribute to the overall mission of USAA.
- Oversees the preparation of key reports and communications and
may present to governance committees, senior leaders, regulatory
bodies and the USAA Board of Directors.
- Provides effective challenge and approval of audit engagement
scoping, planning, fieldwork and reporting. Provides insight in
reviewing audit issues and identified root cause. Recognizes and
communicates impact of related issues, MRIAs, MRAs and Enterprise
issues on audit engagements and risk profile.
- Engages in multiple continuous monitoring and on-going risk
routines. Prepares, reviews, and leads continuous monitoring and
guides staff in advisory activities, special reviews and
- Leads the implementation and monitoring of audit process and
performance standards; identifies and recommends internal audit
process improvements. Proactively identifies potential process
concerns and follows-up to resolve issues with Audit
- Communicates effectively with key stakeholders across the
enterprise and external regulators to ensure audit objectives are
effectively met and contribute to the overall mission of USAA and
risk-based and difficult messages are delivered timely.
- Responsible for building, directly managing and developing
diverse teams with the requisite knowledge and skillsets necessary
to execute the audit plan through recruitment, training, coaching,
skills assessment results review, performance management and
related managerial activities.
- Responsible for reviewing results of the annual risk assessment
and providing input into the creation of the risk profile.
- Updates universe risk assessment information with current and
applicable research, industry feedback and audit results. Reviews
audit universe for completeness for area of responsibility.
- Responsible for the development of the annual Audit plan for
assigned areas of responsibility including proper assessment and
coverage of risks and emerging risks.
- Responsible for providing oversight of issue severity and
impact to business processes and the control environment. Escalates
broad and systemic themes to Audit and business leaders.
- Effectively challenges business management to adopt appropriate
policies and procedures and effective controls designed to mitigate
- Meets with and provides responses/requested information to
- Bachelor's degree in Business or relevant field such as
Finance, Accounting, Business, or Information Technology; OR 4
years of related experience (in addition to the minimum years of
experience required) may be substituted in lieu of degree.
- 8 years of audit, financial, insurance, banking, information
technology or related business and/or leadership experience.
- 3 years of direct team lead or management experience leading
and directing work with both internal and external partners in a
highly collaborative environment.
- Experience performing internal audits, external audits, or
applying audit, risk, or compliance acumen in a complex operational
and regulatory environment.
- Experience directly leading or managing work of both internal
and external partners.
- Broad and comprehensive experience in Audit theory, internal
audit principles with demonstrated experience in audit examining,
analyzing, assessing, and drawing conclusions from audit work.
- Demonstrated experience effectively communicating and
challenging Controls with business partners and influencing
- Demonstrated critical thinking and knowledge of data analysis
tools and techniques and decision-making abilities.
- Demonstrated experience in highly dynamic environment
undergoing change; ability to deal with competing
- Experience and subject matter expertise in OCC Heightened
Standards and Risk Governance Framework, including assessing
governance and risk culture, roles and responsibilities, and
policies and procedures (to include processes to identify, measure,
monitor, control and report on risks).
- Strong knowledge of Operational Risk Management processes,
including Process, Risk, and Control Assessments, Operational
- Leadership experience in second line of defense-Operational
Risk Management, with expertise in analyzing Risk Culture that
includes people, processes and technology
- Strong accomplishments in auditing
- Working knowledge with other risk categories, to include Fraud,
Credit Risk, Market Risk, Liquidity, Interest Rate Risk, Compliance
Risk, Reputation Risk, etc.
- Legal Risk experience
- Certified Risk Management Professional (CRMP) and/or Certified
Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
designationsThe above description reflects the details considered
necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should
not be construed as a detailed description of all the work
requirements that may be performed in the job. Compensation: USAA
has an effective process for assessing market data and establishing
ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the
salary range based on your experience and market position. The
salary range for this position is: $117,600 - $211,700 Employees
may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and
individual performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of
Directors. Geographical Differential: Geographic pay differential
is additional pay provided to eligible employees working in
locations where market pay levels are above the national average.
Shift premium: will be addressed on an individual-basis for
applicable roles that are consistently scheduled for non-core
hours. Benefits: At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits
to support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These
benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans,
401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption
assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid
volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. Additionally, our
career path planning and continuing education assists employees
with their professional goals.Please click on the link below for
more details. USAA Total Rewards Relocation assistance is available
for this position.
Keywords: USAA, Charlotte , Director, Audit - Risk, Executive , Charlotte, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!