Senior Mechanical Engineer/Project Manager
Posted on: August 17, 2019
NV5 (NASDAQ: NVEE) provides engineering and consulting services to
public and private sectors, delivering solutions through five
business verticals: Construction Quality Assurance, Infrastructure,
Energy, Program Management, and Environmental. With offices
nationwide and abroad, NV5 helps clients plan, design, build, test,
certify, and operate projects that improve the communities where we
live and work.
As engineers, architects, construction/program managers,
environmental professionals and beyond, we play a significant role
in shaping our communities through the services we provide. We are
looking for passionate, driven individuals to join our team focused
on Delivering Solutions and Improving Lives.
The basic function of the Senior Mechanical Engineer/Project
Manager position is to plan, develop, coordinate, and direct a
number of projects concurrently including acting as primary contact
for the firm in all contractual and project-related communications.
The Senior Mechanical Engineer/Project Manager works closely with
the Group Leader(s) to ensure that company goals and guidelines are
maintained. This position also develops and maintains client
relationships, develops business opportunities, and promotes NV5's
services, reputation, and name throughout the industry.
* Responsible for project planning and managing schedules and
budgets to complete work on time and profitably; plays major role
in conceptualizing design and overseeing all aspects of the
project, including reviewing work of interdisciplinary team to
secure and successfully manage projects through demonstrated
technical and managerial skills.
* Responsible for business development for both new and existing
clients. Must be able to identify and contact new potential clients
through business/peer contacts, identify new market sectors, and
develop strategies to gain work and new projects. Update and
develop marketing material and procedures; attend industry
organization events and society meetings.
* Takes active role in marketing activities, including performing
client marketing/maintenance and cross-selling of services
available beyond scope requirements for procurement of future
* Maintains industry reputation by always conducting business in a
courteous and professional manner.
* Assists in defining staffing needs for the Principal Engineers
for specific projects and coordinating staff assignments with the
Principal Engineers to ensure optimal utilization of staff and
timely delivery of high quality products and services.
* Reviews individual project workloads, deadlines, budgets, and
requirements with the responsible engineers; ensures quality
standards, schedules, and deadlines are met; strives to complete
the project to the full satisfaction of the client and within the
established budget and schedule.
* Performs quality control review of responsible engineer s design
drawings, specifications, and cost estimates to ensure compliance
with contract requirements.
* Applies organizational and management expertise to unique and
complex projects and is able to effectively diagnose problems,
prepare course of action, and implement the course of action to
provide an appropriate solution or resolution to the problem.
* Prepares or assists in the preparation of proposals and contracts
by developing project approach, scope of services and budgets based
on similar project experience and historical budgeting information
and by speaking at client interviews regarding project management
issues. This also includes negotiating fees to perform projects of
a certain scope, reviewing and approving written proposal
documents, and obtaining authorized signatures on contracts.
* Responsible for ensuring that work and contract terms have been
complied with, including maintenance of project files, attendance
at meetings, holding of periodic team meetings, and maintaining
good relationships with the client. Responsible for maintaining
QA/QC drawing(s) in the file.
* Oversees Construction Administration process, including resolving
field problems occurring during construction.
* Maintains positive client relationships and facilitates exchanges
of project related information through regular verbal/written
communication, including the development of project status reports.
Reviews all correspondence prior to issuance.
* Responsible for training and supervising of more junior level
* Has a general knowledge of all disciplines so that potential
issues can be identified and addressed; oversees coordination of
* Assists in the preparation of accurate monthly billings, or more
frequently when required, through timely submission of invoices to
the accounting department.
* Oversees selection of sub-consultants based on in-house or
outside research or referrals.
* Works with minimal direction or supervision through demonstrated
success with similar project responsibilities.
* Other duties as required or assigned.
* Graduate from an engineering curriculum accredited by the
Accreditation for Engineering and Technology (A.E.T.) or from a
non-accredited engineering curriculum or related engineering
science or with a B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering.
* Minimum of ten (10) years experience designing and managing
projects independently and has a thorough understanding of the
principles of the discipline he/she is designing.
* Experience in healthcare, higher education, and/or transportation
* PE License preferred but not required.
* Must keep current through continuing education.
* Must be knowledgeable in the operation of a computer, AutoCAD and
* Must have strong leadership, problem-solving, and communication
* Professional demeanor and excellent presentation skills.
* Well-developed business development skills.
* Follows and accepts work rules and procedures.
* Ability to make quick decisions and effectively implement actions
related to decisions.
* Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to positively interact
with staff at every level of the organization.
* Ability to build an effective team, facilitate team spirit, and
resolve conflicts independently.Communicates effectively with
staff, vendors, and clients.
This is a full-time position (40 hours per week, Monday Friday from
8:00 am to 5:00 pm), with the ability to work on-call and extended
hours (including after hours, holidays and weekends). The job is
performed primarily in an indoor office environment with occasional
driving to commercial and institutional job site locations and
outdoor activities at the site (including mechanical rooms,
rooftops, and buildings). The employee must be able to perform, in
a safe manner at all times, the following essential functions and
The employee frequently sits or stands in the same location with
opportunity to move about; occasionally walks substantial distances
at job site locations; regularly thinks, concentrates, analyzes,
interprets, interacts with others, and communicates orally and in
writing; regularly uses a computer (keyboard and mouse); regularly
reads, sees, hears, and speaks; frequently uses hands to write,
type, handle, or feel; occasionally reaches with hands and arms;
occasionally bends, stoops, and lifts or moves up to 30 pounds (and
greater weights infrequently); occasionally climbs ladders and
NV5 offers a competitive compensation and benefits package
including medical, dental, life insurance, PTO, 401(k) and
professional development/advancement opportunities.
NV5 provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants
for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender,
sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin,
age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or
status as a covered veteran in
Keywords: NV5, Charlotte , Senior Mechanical Engineer/Project Manager, Engineering , Charlotte, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!