Posted on: May 24, 2020
We're one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in
America. Why? Because we're making homeownership simpler, faster -
and most importantly, more accessible for all Americans.
By combining smarter technology with a desire to not just change
one piece of the journey but the entire makeup of what it's like to
buy and own a home in this country, we're building things that
don't exist yet.
Better.com by the numbers:
- We fund $600 million in home loans per month
- Nearly $5 billion in loans funded since our inception in
- 2 years running, we're one of Crain's "Best Places to
- We're #11 on Fortune's Best Places to Work in NYC
- And #964 on Inc.'s 2019 "5000 Fastest-Growing
- We've secured over $254 million from our investors to date
- ...and counting
We continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We've recently
joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank. Plus, our backers have
helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance
companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures,
American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, and others have all
invested in our vision of redefining the entire homebuying
A Better opportunity: *Work From Home Opportunities 2
Better is looking for a Mortgage Loan Underwriter to join our
growing team! Using established underwriting guidelines, you will
evaluate borrower financial and credit information in tandem with
property valuations to inform lending decisions. Our underwriters
work closely with all members of the production team throughout the
process to bring loans to closing.
Beyond producing high quality loans, our goal is to build a product
that will ultimately reduce the cost of homeownership in America.
With offices in New York, Oakland, Gurgaon, Charlotte and Orange
County we are quickly expanding in order deliver a delightful
borrower experience through a combination of technology and
You will have the opportunity to wear many hats, ranging from a
visionary redesigning the needlessly complex mortgage process; a
data analyst uncovering how to make the most impact; to a problem
solver working with highly skilled engineers and industry experts
to resolve technical and operational challenges.
Responsibilities will include:
- Underwrite and decision agency conforming and jumbo residential
- Verify and analyze all necessary financial information and
documentation; ensure that loan files contain all necessary credit
and legal documents
- Review appraisal reports to identify and resolve any
discrepancies discovered within
- Perform thorough analysis of applicant's income and expense
data, asset documentation, credit reports, and property valuations
in order to affirm borrower qualifies for loan
- Calculate qualifying ratios, determine creditworthiness;
provide risk opinions
- 7+ years of experience underwriting FNMA, FHLMC, and
- Expert knowledge of Desktop Underwriter (DU) & Loan
Prospector/Loan Product Advisor (LP/LPA)
- Categorical understanding of the mortgage lending
- Ability to carry out requisite loan calculations (DTI, LTV,
- Capable of preparing findings reports
- Ability to handle multiple files simultaneously
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Perform well in team environments
- The drive to build something new
- Management experience a plus
- Ability to work from the local office - this role is not
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news and trends are fascinating.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try
- Passion. If you don't get excited about homeownership,
mortgages, and real estate, it simply won't work.
- Smarts: book and street. We have to use all the tools at our
disposal to build Better.
- Empathy and Compassion. You understand that people's biggest
dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when
you don't understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking
and talking to figure this stuff out, but you can't wait to leave
the conversation and build it.
Keywords: Better.com, Charlotte , Senior Underwriter, Accounting, Auditing , Charlotte, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!